Sunday, April 21, 2013

Tejidos

Today marks three weeks since we arrived in Guatemala. It's satisfying to feel like I know the ropes now. Last week was a lot of yoga class, reading, touring and eating out (lots of great restaurants in Antigua); this week so far has been more "authentic" (for lack of a better word). I branched out a bit and met some wonderful people in the process.

This morning I caught a "chicken bus" to San Antonio Aguas Calientes, a town just outside of Antigua, where my friend and teacher Irla lives. She's teaching me how to weave, old-school Mayan style. Based on my first few days of learning this technique, I would describe it as unbelievably laborious and complicated. Now I understand why people have come here to "study Mayan weaving." People hand weave these intricate designs into skirts, blouses, belts and other decorative items. Each town has its own style and its own particular designs (for example, lines that represent the roads, squiggles for cafe, frijoles and maiz, quetzales, etc). I am working on the most gorgeous table runner that ever was, and at the rate I'm going, it should be finished some time in the next five years or so (sorry, not in time for the Biz Bash silent auction...).
Scratching my head, trying to figure out what the heck to do next.
In any case, I've really enjoyed spending the last few days hanging out at Irla's house. There are usually about ten people hanging around, including her two kids, her sister-in-law, a babysitter, her dad (who cracks me right up) and her 99 year-old abuela. I love the happy noise of them talking in Spanish and Kachiquel, scolding the dogs and humming as they wash clothes or prepare lunch.


Their property has several free-standing rooms made of concrete block, corn stalks (like bamboo), and metal roof; the middle section is dirt floor, where a tree grows -- that's where I rig up my tejido (weaving). It's a back strap loom that I tether to the tree and wrap around "los cheeks" to pull it tight. I sit on a tiny stool, but most women sit on their knees (hero's pose for my yogis).

Today was special because Sherlley, Irla's ten-year-old daughter, had a dance performance at her school. There were some pretty stellar dance numbers.

In the afternoon, Johnny and I were invited to stay for lunch with some special guests, gringos and friends of Irla's mom who were interested in buying some of her weaving to sell abroad.

Long story short, they were also affiliated with Friendship Bridge (Puente de Amistad) and once of them used to live in Colorado. You know it's a small world when you're eating pepián and toyuyos with a Guatemalan family and some friends from Colorado in San Antonio Aguas Calientes.

Home made pepián

No comments:

Post a Comment